Plan a romantic winter weekend getaway in The Catskills
Worlds away yet closer than you think! Just a two hour drive from NYC, the Catskills have long been a popular destination for couples looking for a romantic getaway. While there is never a bad time to plan a couples weekend in the Catskill Mountains, the arrival of winter turns the whole area turns into a magical winter wonderland. The region will be covered in snow with frozen waterfalls and natural serenity around every corner. All in all, winter is the perfect time for a couples trip to the Catskills.
Five tips for planning a romantic weekend getaway in the Catskills this winter.
1) Unplug from the tech and hustle of everyday life:
While many people think of ski resorts and ski towns for their winter trips, we recommend avoiding these spots and finding an offseason location. There will be less crowds, less waiting times, and more amenities for you, basically you get to enjoy the quiet side of a popular destination.
- Winter Clove Inn & Resort is the perfect place for your romantic weekend away. The resort is located in the heart of the Catskill Mountains and has been welcoming guest since 1838. Plus, not many places can match the natural beauty and cozy charm of Winter Clove. We are talking about roasting s’mores under the stars, selecting from their board game menu, enjoying craft cocktails, x-country skiing, hiking, and a delicious breakfast each morning.
Check out the 2023-2024 winter & spring couples package, it includes 2 nights lodging, breakfast each morning, and free cocktails for only $375. Plus you have access to a full range of resort amenities! (View the full details here.)
2) Reconnect with each other:
After all that’s what a couples trip to The Catskills is all about.
- Plan a spa day at The Windham Spa. Their services include massages, facials, and skin care treatments.
- Visit Olana Historic site. This victorian castle served as the home for early American painter Frederich Church and now serves as a museum to his life and the art movement he created.
- Go Ice skating – Bearpen Mountain Sports offers a wide range of outdoor winter sports including ice skating when temperatures permit.
3) Reconnect with nature:
No couples getaway in the Catskills would be complete without spending some time in nature. It is the perfect way to reconnect with your inner self and be inspired by the vastness of mother nature.
- Take a hike – there is no better way to reconnect with mother nature. The Catskills are filled with hiking trials so you can easily find one that fits into your weekend plans. Guest of Winter Clove Inn & Resort have access to an impressive range of onsite hikes including everything from a short 10 minute stroll to the waterfalls to full day treks.
- Go x-country skiing – Reconnect with each other while enjoying mother nature, unlike downhill skiing where the slopes are often crowded, x-country skiing allows you and your loved time to be alone will enjoying mother nature. Overnight guest at Winter Clove Inn & Resort have access to complimentary ski equipment and trails during their stay.
4) Have a unique and memorable experience
Make memories that will last a lifetime. Once your romantic getaway comes to an end you will want memories you can look back on for years to come.
- Visit Kaaterskill Falls – There is something magical and romantic about a waterfall making this a must see attraction on your couples trip to The Catskills. Kaaterskill Falls is one of the tallest and most beautiful waterfalls on the East Coast.
- Go horseback riding – While many ranches and stables close for the winter months, Tullin Ranch in Saugerties NY stays open through the winter and offers couples lessons and trail rides.
- Visit Bethel Woods Center for the Arts – the museum dedicated to the Woodstock festival and life in the 1960’s. Stand side by side with your significant other in the spot where Hendrix made history and imagine the crowd of 500,000+ cheering you on.
5) Explore the area and treat yourself to local products
Don’t stay at the resort or in the room for your whole trip, instead get out there and experience the local flair. Be sure to treat yourself, a romantic weekend in the Catskills is not the time to start counting calories; order a second dessert, enjoy an extra pint, after all it is vacation.
- Visit the towns of Hudson, Catskill, and Saugerties. Even during the off season months the lively main streets provide the perfect day trip for your romantic weekend in the catskills. Stop in the many shops, galleries, cafes, and coffee shops for an espresso or pastry. When in Saugerties a visit to Krauses Chocoliter is a must!
- Enjoy the local beverages, while there is no shortage of great breweries and wineries in The Catskills here are our top picks of the ones that offer a unique and cozy experience, perfect for your couples weekend.
More about Winter Clove Inn & Resort
One of the oldest family owned hotels in the United States. The Whitcomb family has owned and operated the resort since it originally opened in 1838. That’s nearly 200 years and 6 generations! Today, the resort sits on 300 private acres at the base of North Mountain and directly borders the 700,000 acre Catskill Wilderness Preserve. In addition to a picturesque setting the resort offers a wide range of amenities including: meal plans, bowling alley, hiking trials, game room, x-country skiing, 9 hole golf course, outdoor sports courts, bonfires, bar, fitness room, and more. Winter Clove is the perfect Catskill Mountain Resort for your next getaway.
Learn more about Winter Clove’s 2023 – 2024 winter and spring couples getaway package here.
Looking to hit the slopes this winter? Check out our guide to the Best Ski Areas in The Catskill Mountains.